No products in the basket.
Golden Eagle Festival & Altai Mountains Photo Tour
10 Days & 9 Nights from 14 to 23 September 2017
Tour Highlight :
- 2 full days of Eagle Festival
- Visit Kazakh family
- Ancient petroglyphs
- See Altai Mountain Peaks
- Horse ride
It’s known in the world that Kazakh and Kyrgyz nations have traditions of hunting small animals with the aid of predator birds such as falcon, hawks and eagles. The custom of hunting with bird of prey or eagle hunting have survived among Kazakhs who live in the Western part of Mongolia, and nowdays this art of the man and bird partnership can be witnessed at the show festival which has expanded into the independent tourist attraction venue for photographers and visitors from all over the world. At present, there are almost 60 eagle hunters in the West of Mongolia. We present you a golden opportunity to photo shoot Kazakh national eagle hunting to fill up your treasure chest with the rare photographs taken by yourself in a nomadic outdoors.
Day 1. (14 Sep) Ulaanbaatar and city tour
Arrive in Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia. Take a city tour to Gandan Monastery where you will see huge gold plated Buddha, a symbol of Mongolian national pride and cultural revival. Photograph to Chinggis square and Zaisan Hill with a panoramic view of the whole city. Overnight in the hotel. (L+D)
Photo: Buddha monastery, street photo, panorama view of city.
Day 2. (15 Sep) Fly to Ulgii
Meet in hotel and flight to Ulgii town. Most inhabitants of Ulgii are Kazakhs (93%). Overnights in local hotel. (B+L+D)
Photo: panorama view of Ulgii city
Days 3 & 4. (16-17 Sep) Golden Eagle Festival
The rodeo of eagle hunting. A fantastic opportunity for photographers and adventurers alike to see these magnificent birds up close. There are approx. 60 eagle hunters in Bayan-Ulgii aimag. Eagle hunters from around regions gather to test their finely trained birds in singular contests of speed and agility in these few days.
During the festival we also see some Kazakh Traditional Horse Games like “Bush Kushi” (Try to take out from each other the goat skin on horseback), “Kiss woman on horseback”, “Pick up coins from the land on horseback” and others. Back to Ulgii and overnights in local hotel. (B+L+D)
Photo: Eagle festival shoot
Day 5. (18 Sep) Tsambagarav Mountain and visit Kazakh family
After breakfast, drive to Tsambagarav Mountain and visit Eagle hunting family. There we have an opportunity to experience their way of life, their culture and traditions. Lunch with Kazakh family. Back to Ulgii and overnights in local hotel. (B+L+D)
Photo: Eagle training shoot and Kazakh family
Day 6. (19 Sep) Tsagaan Gol – Shiveet Hairhan Mt. & ancient petroglyphs
Today we will have full day drive to Altai Tavanbogd National Park (means The Holy Five) via Tsagaan Gol (White river) valley and through Altai Mountains that are Mongolia’s largest and highest mountain range more than 3000-4000 meters high. One famous spot is “Shiveet Hairhan” Sacred Mountain, where we will see the largest rock painting site from the period of the Huns (approx. 200 B.C.) Overnight in local ger. (B+L+D)
Photo opportunity : ancient petroglyphs
Day 7. (20 Sep) Horse ride – Potanin glacier
Today we will ride horse to Altai Tavanbogd referring to the peaks of Huiten – 4374m and the highest. It is a stunning setting with the awe inspiring massif of high snowcapped peaks. We will reach the 30km long Potanin glacier, which is ice river starts from Altai Tavan Bogd Snow Peaks. Back to base camp and overnight in local ger. (B+L+D)
Photo: high snowcapped mountains
Day 8. (21 Sep) Ulgii town
Return to Ulgii where we rest and soak in memories of the past few days. Enjoy a hot shower and relax in your local hotel. (B+L+D)
Day 9. (22 Sep) Fly back to Ulaanbaatar and city tour options
After breakfast you will have a flight back to Ulaanbaatar. You will be taken to souvenir and cashmere shops before enjoying an evening concert of National Folklore. Overnight at the hotel. (B+L+D)
Day 10. (23 Sep) Departure Mongolia
After breakfast, you will be transferred from your hotel to the airport. (B)
From USD $1,690 pp
- Special price when booking with our travel partner using the Promo Code PA/DM.EF10
- Payment to the travel agency only when the rip is confirmed.
- Maximum 6 person in the group.
- Pre-book your spot Here – places are limited.
- Hotel cost is based on two people sharing one room with twin beds at 4* hotel
- 2 nights including Western or Mongolian breakfast
- Free luggage keeping in the hotel while on tour to countryside
- Local hotel :
– Shared accommodation in Ulgii
- Tent :
– 2 people per tent, camping equipment.
- Flight :
– Round ticket from Ulaanbaatar to Bayan-Ulgii
- Private Transfers on each day :
– Comfortable 4×4 off road Russian van
- Airports pick up and drop off service
- Guides :
– English speaking guiding service throughout the entire time
- Local guide
- Cook and Meals :
– All meals as listed in the itinerary
– Finest Western and Mongolian meals, deserts
- Daily supply of bottled water: 3 x 0.5 bottle per day
- Entrance fees :
– To all scenic spots as listed in the itinerary such as museums, strictly protected area, park, concert, road
All services not mentioned above (get more details with the Travel Company)
- International airfare or train tickets :
– Discover Mongolia offers cheap international airfares and train tickets for our clients upon request.
- Personal expenses :
– Such as laundry, beverages, alcoholic drinks, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals
which are not included in the tour itinerary.
- Travel insurance :
– Our clients are recommended to get travel insurance coverage from their local insurance companies
- Single room supplement :
– Single supplement is available at USD $70 in the hotel (for 2 nights) Single ger supplement
– Single supplement is available at USD $25 per night at ger camps.
- Travel Insurance
- Camera gear &manual, Tripod (STURDY), selfie stick and high volume digital storage
- Warm trekking gear – 1 down jacket – 1 windproof jacket –
- Passport with 6 months validity
- Laptop, chargers & card readers, split field neutral density filter & kit (optional)
- Polarizer filter and lens cleaning cloth
- Extra batteries. Bring at least 1 or 2 extra batteries + Battery chargers
- Sun glasses – 2 pairs
- Sun Hat, 1cap and 1 beanie
- Sun block – Factor 30+
Contact the travel agency
(Use Promo Code – PA/DM.EF10)
- This tour is run by Discover Mongolia Travel Co Ltd, the Agency in charge of this trip.
- Reserve your spot NOW – Places are limited.
- Any questions? Send me an email.
- As soon as the trip is confirmed, you will be able to pay the agency directly.